- 700g sirloin or round steak (shank) or rump steak
- 100g bacon
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1 large onion
- 250g root vegetables (carrot, parsley, celery)
- some peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 baby leaves
- 250g sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Vinegar or lemon juice
- to be served with lemon slices and cranberries (stewed or jam)
- Remove membrane from meat. Cut half of the bacon into strips, the other half finely to small cubes. Use the strips to interlard the meat.
- Stir-fry diced bacon in lard, salt the meat and put it into the pot to sear it on all sides. Remove the meat and stir-fry cut onions and root vegetables in the lard. Add spices and put the meat back into the pot. Pour in some hot water and braise until soft. Turn the meat while cooking, baste with gravy and add hot water as necessary.
- Remove the meat when done, and keep it warm. Press vegetables and gravy through a strainer. Heat gravy to a boil and stir in cream combined with flour. Cook thoroughly while stirring constantly. Add salt, vinegar or lemon juice, sugar and cook briefly.
- Slice the meat against the grain and serve with dumplings.