HOME-MADE JAM / DOMÁCI LEKVÁR
This and other Recipes you can find in "A Taste of Slovakia" book, available for only £14.99 in our shop.
- 1 kg soft and ripe fruit (stoned and diced where applicable)
- 300-500g granulated sugar (depending on sweetness of fruit)
- Ground Cinnamon
- dried lemon zest (optional)
1. Prepare clean, dry jars. Wash the fruit thoroughly under running water.
2. Cut off the blemishes and dice te fruit.
3. Put the fruit in a large casserole, add the sugar and stir well into the fruit. Let stand in a cool place overnight.
4. By the following morning, the sweetened fruit will have let out juices and turned into a thick syrup-like mixture.
5. Transfer it to a food processor or use a hand blender to break the remaining fruit pieces. Don't worry if there are a few tiny bits left - they will give the jam a nice, fruity taste.
6. Add the spices if preferred and stir well. The fruit mixture is now ready for cooking, for which you will need a wide, non-stick pan, or a shallow casserole with a wide bottom.
7. Transfer 2-3 ladles of the fruit mixture to the pan or the casserole.
8. Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. The jam is of the right consistency when the wooden spoon leaves a clear path in it while stirring.
9. Transfer to a clean jar.
10. Again pour 2-3 ladles of the fruit mixture in the pan or the casserole, and cook in the same way.
11. Remember the time you need to achieve the right consistency so that all the jam is cooked to the same thickness.
12. Add to the cooked jam in the jar until it is filled up to the grooves.
13. Screw on the lid while the jam is still hot. This will ensure the lid seals well. A short popping sound you hear later, as well as a slightly pulled-in lid, indicate a good seal.
14. Start filling a new jar in the same way.
15. When you have used all the fruit mixture and filled all the jars, leave them to cool down and store in a cool, dry place.
16. Once opened, store the jar in the fridge where the jam will keep for a few weeks.
Serving: 4 Serves